Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Body of Christ


For a long time I have struggled with the idea that I should do exactly as the disciples did in Jesus’ time. I keep thinking I should be out there on a mission in a foreign land, sharing His message, and owning only the clothes on my back. The problem with that idea is that I’m naturally a shy person…I like talking to people one-on-one, in social situations, or somewhere that they know I’m going to try to convince them of something…but the thought of going door-to-door, persuading people that they’re not following the path that my God wants them to follow makes me extremely nervous.

For the same reason I also used to question my choice of major and career. How is my opening a bookstore going to help share God’s Word? My boyfriend Daniel asks the same thing about his chosen career path, engineering. What does that have to do with Christianity? You’re supposed to devote all of your time and energy to the Lord right? You’re supposed to forget about the world and focus on God. So how does selling coffee and books or inventing new technologies really do that?

Well, it’s taken me a long time, but I’ve come to realize that not everybody is meant to preach or share the gospel in the same way. I’ve learned that, even thought I could probably improve at it, I will probably never be a public speaker. My gift is in writing and business, so I know that, putting all of my passion for God into my work, I can praise and serve him using this gift. I can put the Christian novels in the front of my store instead of hiding them in the back like most major bookstores do. I can see someone who is having a bad day, and encourage him. I can write stories that are positive and impactful, books that make people want to learn more about God. Similarly, all Christians can use their specific talents to share the Word.

Romans 12:4-8 says, “Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.”

With this scripture, we can learn that not everyone will be able to do the same type of work for the Lord. Some people are meant to be preachers, others are teachers. Some people should be accountants, and some should be cooks. But no matter what we do for a living, we can still be living for God.

Last week, I met a woman named Barbara who works at JC Penney. I have spoken with her a few times since then, and every time we talk, we end up discussing the Lord and Christianity. She is a true warrior of God who uses every opportunity she can in order to do God’s work, even though her job doesn’t sound like it is a venue for doing so. Even her business cards and office space have scriptures and encouraging words for anyone who might chance to read them. So my question for you today is: What can you be doing at your job, whether it’s in fast food or medicine, that will tell people about the joy and comfort that comes from being a Christian?

Feel free to comment with suggestions or things that you already do at your work.

0 comments:

My Blog List

Followers

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP